In 2016, the AES Board set a new strategic direction to be responsive to the rapidly changing context for evaluation as well as AES members. To assist with achieving the strategy, and aligned to the AES vision and mission, the Board is seeking expressions of interest (EOI) from members to sit on the newly restructured AES Committees. The Committees will play an advisory role to the Board and work to support the AES Strategic Plan July 2016–June 2019.
We are calling for AES Members to nominate, or re-nominate, for the following committees:
- Advocacy and Alliances Committee (AAC)
- Learning and Professional Practice (LPP)
- Member Services and Engagement (MSE)
The Terms of Reference for each Committee are available below, or by following the links above.
Tenure and Commitment
Committee membership is for a 2-year period commencing in July 2016. Committee members will participate in regular meetings, held every six weeks (via teleconference), or more frequently as required, to:
- attend to the Committee’s terms of reference with reasonable care and diligence
- read and contribute to the development of discussion papers or proposals
- examine new proposals to test whether they are in the best interests of the AES
- be willing to ask hard questions, even if others seem unconcerned.
From time to time, Committee members will have responsibility to deliver specific projects between, and outside of, meetings to help achieve strategic objectives of the AES.
Total time commitment: It is expected that the total time commitment for a Committee member will not usually exceed 8 hours a month. Occasionally this may increase for a specific project.
AES Membership Eligibility Requirements
- Members of all membership categories who are current in their membership fees may nominate themselves for a Committee position.
- A member would not normally sit on more than one Committee. However, you can express an interest in two Committees and nominate your first preference.
Appointment to a position on a Committee is subject to Board approval. All applicants will be advised of the status of their applications by Friday 15 July 2016. The first meeting that new members will be asked to attend will be organised by using Doodle and will occur within a month of 15 July.
The capabilities expected of Committee members include, but are not limited to:
- leadership and initiative
- creative thinking
- collaborative and participative approach
- commitment and passion and help drive the AES strategy.
All Committee members will have a commitment to, and responsibility for, the following elements of good governance:
- Accountability – taking shared responsibility for the operations and impact of the Committee
- Transparency – ensuring that information about the Committee’s activities is accessible to the AES Board
- Disclosure – being open to scrutiny and dealing effectively with potential conflicts of interest
- Independence – maintaining a collective decision making culture and independence from outside direction or interests.
Benefits of Committee membership
Contributing to the growth and development of the AES and advancing the cause of evaluation can be very fulfilling. You will be working with like-minded people and have the opportunity to enhance your professional skills and experience.
Terms of reference documents
Click on the name of the committee to download the terms of reference.
Application for Expression of Interest
All applications are to be submitted via the forms linked below and consist of three questions addressing the following assessment criteria:
- A brief description of your reason/s for wishing to join the Sub-Committee (100 word limit)
- A brief overview of your evaluation life and context (150 word limit)
- A brief description of the skills you will bring to the committee (150 word limit)
Please submit your application by Monday 4 July 2016
Note: You may nominate for up to two committees. However, a member would not normally be asked to sit on more than one committee. You will be asked for your preferred committee on the EOI form.
Note: You will be returned to this page on completion of the form.
Expressions of interest must be received by Monday 4 July 2016.